We're Hiring | BDC Films Program Manager
Title: Part-Time BDC Films Program Manager
Bronx Documentary Center
The Bronx Documentary Center (BDC) is a non-profit gallery and educational space located in the heart of the South Bronx. Our mission is to use community-based documentary practice and education to explore vital issues, stimulate critical thought, and drive social change. We use documentary photography, film, and new media to foster dialogue around contemporary local, national, and global issues.
BDC Films was created in 2018 in response to the lack of support for traditionally underrepresented documentary filmmakers in the Bronx, as well as the changes in storytelling professions that require a broader skill set for potential employment in creative industries.
Through such offerings as documentary filmmaking courses and professional development workshops; mentorships; documentary film screenings and panel discussions; equipment loans and low-cost rentals; access to free meeting and work space; and a video editing suite, Bronx filmmakers will have the necessary tools to tell their own stories and gain employment in creative industries. The program typically runs from October through June.
In addition to enhancing skills, BDC Films is dedicated to strengthening the BDC’s artistic community by creating a peer-to-peer support network and hub which fosters dialogue and empowers Bronx filmmakers.
Commitment of 10-15 per week is required. Due to changing/flexible needs of the students and the BDC, it is understood that the weekly hours fluctuate. Additionally, overseeing or attending an occasional evening or weekend event will be included in the manager’s responsibilities. This position is required to be on site.
• Interview and recruit four fellows for the annual program
• Draft and provide program contracts to each fellow
• Create and manage program training and schedules
• Manage schedule changes, cancellations, and workshops
• Identify and contact guest speakers and trainers, and develop activities that will train fellows in best practices in documentary film and related field
• Coordinate briefings with fellowship mentors
• Ensure that program operates within the approved budget
• Support the development and implementation of a program evaluation system
• Collect participant surveys, success stories, and creative outputs from participants
• Work closely with program evaluation consultant to submit mid and year-end program reports with evaluation findings and recommend changes to enhance the program
Professional Development and Film Jobs
• Determine necessary training needed for the fellows
• Build and maintain relationships in the film industry
• Create and maintain a pool of contacts and/or institutions for job opportunities for the fellows
• Oversee contractual video projects for BDC Films. Develop and manage project BDC Films contractual film projects
Skills and Abilities:
• The Program Manager should possess the following skills and abilities:
• Excellent communication skills
• Ability to communicate well with others and demonstrate strong interpersonal skills
• Skilled in research and outreach to recruit instructors
• Strong digital literacy, including Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, and the Google Suite, and film editing software
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to multi-task and maintain attention to detail
• Strong organizational and time management skills
• Energetic and collaborative personality with a self-starter approach to work
• Education background in film and cinema and/or 5 years related experience
• Pre-existing relationships with filmmakers and instructors preferred
• COVID-19 vaccination is required
Commensurate with experience.
Email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 24th. For more information about the Bronx Documentary Center, please visit www.bronxdoc.org.
Bronx Documentary Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Personnel are chosen on the basis of ability without regard to race, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status or sexual orientation, in accordance with federal and state law. Bronx residents are encouraged to apply.