We're Hiring: Lead Teaching Artist
Title: Lead Teaching Artist
Reports to: Bronx Junior Photo League Coordinator
Bronx Documentary Center
The Bronx Documentary Center (BDC) is a non-profit gallery and educational space; we use community-based documentary practice and education to explore vital issues, stimulate critical thought, and drive social change. Through documentary photography, film, and multimedia storytelling we foster dialogue around contemporary local, national, and global issues. The Bronx Junior Photo League (BJPL) is a free documentary photography and college success program serving middle through high school students. The program teaches youth to use documentary practices to explore their communities, families, environments, and much more, while focusing on social justice issues in the South Bronx. Our curriculum gives students an immersive experience in the technical aspects of photography and photo editing while also promoting critical thinking, visual and news literacy, and writing.
The part-time Lead Teaching Artist will lead a 9th-12th grade Bronx Junior Photo League class. The Lead Teaching Artist plays a critical role in the success of the program and takes on a variety of roles within the program including facilitator, mentor and teacher to both students and assistant teaching artists. Teaching Artists should have demonstrated experience in the photography disciplines and be passionate about teaching school-aged children. They should be experienced and comfortable discussing social justice issues and using documentary photography practices to explore them. All Teaching Artists report to the BJPL Coordinator.
The Lead Teaching Artist is required to be at the Bronx Documentary Center for class every Tuesday and Thursday from 4:30-6:30PM*. Including lesson prep, commitment of at least 7 hours per week is required. Due to changing/flexible needs of BDC, it is understood that additional hours may be required and/or fluctuate weekly and flexibility in arrival and departure time may occur.
Teaching and coordinating this class entails the following responsibilities:
● Meet with BDC staff to determine curriculum using Bronx Junior Photo League curriculum template
● Attend BDC teaching staff meetings and training throughout the year. There will be a mandatory staff retreat before the program begins, date TBD ● Participate in meetings with 6th-12th grade teaching staff at least once a month
● Maintain communication with BJPL Coordinator to report curriculum, activities, changes in program design, changes in roster, and assessment
● Prepare and teach lessons weekly
● Establish and enforce rules for behavior and procedures for maintaining order among the students
● Coordinate and facilitate student trips and guest speakers
● Communicating with students, their school and families as needed
● Ensure that students’ final projects are prepared for final exhibition opening in June 2022
● Manage the responsibilities of teaching assistants including, but not limited to, class prep, attendance, organization of student work, coordination of equipment and materials, and student evaluations
Qualifications and Requirements
The Teaching Artist should possess the following qualifications:
● Have prior experience teaching photography and instructing youth
● Have prior experience with analog and digital photography
● Strong technical skills and comfort working with state of the art technology
● Knowledge of photo history, as well as contemporary art, film and culture
● Ability to connect media to contemporary issues and situations
● Commitment to youth development and community building
● Adapt teaching methods and instructional materials to meet the students' varying needs, interests, and developmental levels
● Strong organizational and time management skills
● Energetic and collaborative personality with self-starter approach to work
● Proficiency with Google Drive
● Experience with Adobe software (Photoshop, InDesign, Premiere, etc) is preferred
The base hourly teaching pay rate for this position is $35. The BDC Teaching Artist pay scale is based on experience, education, and expertise. Teaching Artists are also paid for training and planning time and the BDC covers the cost of supplies.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience in education; ability to speak Spanish is a plus.
● Paid sick leave
● Free membership to One Medical including dependents and life partner
● Significant opportunities for professional development and growth
How to Apply
Please email a resume, cover letter, references, and a sample lesson to email@example.com and BJPL Coordinator Ricardo Partida at firstname.lastname@example.org by September 16, 2022.
Bronx Documentary Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Personnel are chosen on the basis of ability without regard to race, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status or sexual orientation, in accordance with federal and state law. Bronx residents are encouraged to apply